Narayanganj, as an urban area is one of the oldest urban settlements in the country. It has a glorious
past, and used to be known as the Dundee of the East for its numerous jute mills.
Bicon Lal Pandey, a Hindu religious leader who was recognized as Benur Thakur or Lakhsmi Narayan Thakur leased the
area form the British East India company in 1766 following the Battle of Plassey.
He donated the land
and markets on the banks of the river as Devottor or Given to God property which was bequeathed for
maintaining expenses for the worship of the god Narayan. By this way, Narayanganj got its name.
British Government appointed HT Wilson as the first Chairman of the Municipality. Narayanganj
Municipality was formed on 08 September, 1876 with 27,876 population and 11.65 sq. km area.
Narayanganj was became a Model Municipality of Bengal due to the surrounding environment of the
municipality was very clean and the management was excellent. Narayanganj Victoria Hospital, the
first hospital of Narayanganj was established in 1885 by the Municipality with financial contributions
from Harakanta Banerjee. For the first time, a post office was set up in 1866 and Dhaka-Narayanganj
telegram facility was established in 1877 in Narayanganj area. All the street lights of old Narayanganj
municipality were lighted by kerosene oil. Narayanganj municipality was succeeded in providing
electricity facility with assistance of Chittagong electricity Supply Company. After 1947, a huge
acceleration of industrialization took place which increased the necessity of electricity to great extent.
40 MW Power Plant was established to meet the excessive demand of power.
According to the proclamation of Dhaka Judge court the municipality area had been expanded to
23.56 sq.km in 1952 with Narayanganj and Kadam Rasul area. Mr. Ali Ahmed Chunka was the first
elected Chairman of the Municipality after the liberation.
He has been elected in 1974. Narayaganj
was the Mahakuma of Dhaka District. In 15 February, 1984, Narayanganj has been separated from
Dhaka district and upgraded into an independent district.
In 1992, Kadam Rasul area with 13.37 sq.
km area was separated from Narayanganj Paurashava and declared a new Paurashava named Kadam
Rasul Paurashava. In 2003, a major portion of Siddirganj upazila was declared as urban area named
Siddirganj Paurashava(23.66 sq.km).
Narayanganj City Corporation including with former Narayanganj Paurashava, Kadam Rasul
Paurashava and Siddirganj Paurashava has been declared as city Corporation on 21 March, 2011. A
Gazette has been published regarding this on that day (SRO No. 115/211). Prior to this, a Public
Notice was released by the Government to hear from related mass people and to take their opinion
regarding the formation of NCC. After receiving their feedback and opinion, the Deputy
Commissionaire of Narayanganj District, submitted a Detailed Report to the Government. After
analyzing the report, Government took decision to form Narayanganj City Corporation (NCC).
Historically, Narayanganj was a salt trading center which is continuing till today in a much larger
scale. Flour milling and small-scale engineering workshops to meet the local needs are also found in
Narayanganj. As a new development, cement manufacturing has claimed a large chunk of land. This
trend is expected to continue. A Grain Silo and Narayanganj Dockyard are other important
establishments of Narayanganj